Category Archives: Company ownership

Company’s Ownership and running

Peugeot and Hyundai are both listed companies on the stock exchange market, so the shareholders  of the 2 companies are constantly changing, but as Both Peugeot and Hyundai remained a “family” business, the people up at the top who makes all the big decisions still carry the company’s name.

In terms of ownership,both companies have given up a lot of their shares to investors. Hyundai family has only retailed 26% shares of the company; the remaining 74% are from other investors with the majority 43% of it coming from foreign investors.


Peugeot have done a similar thing with their ownership of the business, having only maintained 25.4% of the company’s shares. The French government have also recently pumped more money into the business to fund its financial problems and have a good amount to the share of the company.


Ownership wise, the two company seems to be very similar, but in terms of the company’s running, they are in two very opposite situations.

Hyundai Motors is a fairly young company, the business has only been passed down by one generation, and the control of the company is still fairly closed off. As the chairman and the CEO of both Hyundai and Kia group is Chung Mong Koo, the company’s directions are predominately in his hands. If there is a conflict of interest into the running of the company, he is also in charge of the company’s board members, which gives him further control of company, even if other shareholders are not happy with the way the company is going.

Peugeot on the other hand, has been around for over 200 years and passed down many generations, the structure has been heavily diluted and the company has numerous CEOs and chairmans within the company. This means that there are more opinions thrown towards the direction of the company, and less predictable outcome of how companies will work.

In terms of subsidiaries, both companies are parent companies to numerous firms, most notably Kia and Citroën.

As of December 2011, Hyundai has 33.99% ownership of Kia Motors, making them the majority shareholder and have full control over the company. Peugeot also holds 31% of Citroën’s shares and have 48% voting rights, granting them full control over the company also. However, Peugeot and Citroën have a more separate identity than Hyundai with Kia.